|Chatty Cathy Doll
|Note: Valued "BY NUMBER" not doll number. #1 being highest Value
This list is how I price my dolls and is not to be used as fact. It is NOT FACT, it is for my pricing only.
The way I price my dolls is first and always by the dolls head, then by the body, then by the limbs. The color of the hair is
also a factor when pricing. Redheads first, then brunettes, then blondes. Plus if they are bobs or pigtail dolls.
#1. Foreign talking Chatty Cathy will be the highest priced dolls. "French"and "Spanish" are the only 2 foreign Chatty Cathy dolls that
look like the Chatty Cathy doll, that I know of.
#1. Canadian Redhead bob
#1. Black Chatty Cathy Dolls pig-tail, bob, paige boy all have black hair with brown eyes. if they are in good shape can go higher than a
#2. Canadian dolls Pig-tail, Bob, (hair color) redhead, brunette, blonde, (eyes) decal, pinwheel, glassine. are almost always priced higher
because of the way they look and because there just is not enough of them to go around, so everyone wants one.
#3. Hard face American blonde pigtail dolls with blue glassine eyes
Hard face American Paige Boy dolls with brown eyes can be more rare than a Canadian doll because they are so very hard to find.
The Paige Boy brown eyed dolls almost always have bad faces because they are notorious for Chatty Cathy Measles and so very hard to find one
in good shape without spots so if you can find one she always brings in a very good price.
Soft face American brunette bobs blue or blue/green glassine eyes
Soft face American blonde bobs with brown eyes.
#4. Soft face American pigtail dolls with blue glassine eyes all hair colors.
#5. Soft face American pigtail dolls with blue decal eyes all hair colors.
#6. Hard face American pigtail dolls blue decal eyes, soft face brunette brown eyed bobs, hard face blue decal eyed brunette paige boy
dolls and Prototypes soft face blonde blue decal eyed dolls if they talk.
#7. Hard face American blonde blue eyed Paige Boy dolls with NO spots.
#8. Soft face American blonde and brunette bobs, prototype, blue decal eyes, NON TALKING Are the cheapest to buy and you can
fine many of them.
Note: I have never seen an American soft face or hard face bob with red hair. I personally don't think they were ever
made. But I could be wrong.
Value by the head of a "Canadian" doll. If the head is free of marks and spots with original
1. French Canadian French speaking doll
1. Canadian redhead bob doll with blue glassine eyes
2. Canadian redhead pigtail doll with green pinwheel eyes (light or dark green) and with blue pinwheel eyes.
2. Canadian brunette pigtail doll brown pinwheel eyes (light or dark brown eyes) ( I have never had one of these)
2. Canadian brunette bob brown pinwheel eyes
2. Canadian blonde bob brown pinwheel eyes (first one I even saw was June of 2013) Click Here about her eyes
2. Canadian blonde pigtail brown pinwheel eyes (first one I ever saw was 2008) Click Here about her eyes as same will apply as blonde bob P-brown above
2. Canadian brunette bob green or blue pinwheel eyes
3. Canadian redhead pigtail brown pinwheel eyes (I have seen this doll but the brown pinwheel eyes are always in question, click above on
blonde bob or blonde pigtail brown pinwheel eyes)
3. Canadian brunette pigtail blue pinwheel eyes
4. Canadian blonde bob green pinwheel eyes
4. Canadian blonde pigtail blue pinwheel eyes
4. Canadian redhead pigtail blue glassine eyes
4. Canadian brunette pigtail blue glassine eyes
5. Canadian blonde pigtail blue glassine eyes
5. Canadian redhead pigtail blue decal eyes
6. Canadian brunette pigtail blue decal eyes
7. Canadian brunette bob blue glassine eyes
7. Canadian brunette bob blue decal eyes
8. Canadian blonde bob blue decal eyes
9. Canadian blonde pigtail blue decal eyes
Value by the head of an "American" doll. If the head is free of marks and spots with original
1. Black American Brown decal eyed pigtail
1. Black American Brown decal eyed bob or Paige boy
2. Hard face Paige Boy all hair colors with pinwheel eyes. (Note: I don't even know if this doll was ever made. Also I have seen this doll but the two I
have had... had their eyes changed. But I have also seen pictures of this doll that other people have sent me. So I am starting to think the doll just might of been made and
the reason you nor I have seen these dolls is because the Paige Boy dolls are notorious for white spots (Chatty Cathy measles) on the face. So that makes me wonder if
the reason we are not seeing them is because the doll would of been thrown out because her face would of had a lot of bad color and the owner would not of kept a bad doll,
in turn making the doll extremely rare. Please remember I am just guessing here. (I honestly do not know.)
2. Hard face pigtail all hair colors, with pinwheel eyes. (note: I don't even know if this doll was ever made, same as above)
2. Hard face redhead pigtail brown decal eyes
2. Hard face Paige Boy brunette brown decal eyes
2. Hard face blonde pigtail blue glassine eyes
2. Soft face brunette bob blue glassine eyes
2. Soft face pigtail brunette blue glassine eyes
(I have never seen a soft face redhead American pigtail doll with blue glassine eyes)
(I have never seen a soft face Blonde Bob American doll with blue glassine eyes)
3. Soft face pigtail blonde blue glassine eyes
3. Soft face blonde bob brown eyes
3. Soft face pigtail brunette brown eyes.
4. Soft face redhead pigtail blue decal eyes
4. Soft face brunette pigtail blue decal eyes
5. Soft face blonde pigtail blue decal eyes
5. Soft face brunette bob brown eyes
6. Soft face blonde or brunette prototype blue decal eyes
6. Hard face pigtail redhead blue decal eyes
6. Hard face pigtail brunette blue decal eyes
6. Hard face Paige Boy brunette blue decal eyes
7. Hard face pigtail blonde blue decal eyes
7. Hard face Paige Boy blonde blue decal eyes (almost always has white spots on her face)
7. Hard face "Bob" blonde blue decal eyes (almost always has white spots on her face)
8. Soft face brunette bob blue decal eyes
9. Soft face blonde bob blue decal eyes
Also I have heard there are Hard Face Redhead Paige Boy Dolls But I have never seen one, I don't think anyway. She
would rank in value at the top of the American doll list if her face was clear of chatty white spots (measles).
NOTE: After reading this page you will better understand that all of these factors will play a part in her value. All in all I
think there are some 40 different heads and maybe more that I have never seen or have forgotten to list. Going on 5
different bodies. With 8 different colored sets of limbs and will either say 11 or 18 different phrases. (what is the math on
that!) This is why there is no sure way of telling you her value. Not until she is repaired and talking again anyway.
Value of the body after repair. Click here for all about body.
1. number 5 open grill with 4 bottom holes and with white plastic speaker.
2. number 4 open grill missing 4 bottom holes with white plastic speaker can say 11 or 18 phrases, mostly 18.
2. number 1 covered grill with closed voice box and black paper speaker says 11 phrases. (prototype).
3. number 3 open grill with red or black paper speaker says 11 phrases.
4. number 2 open indented grill with closed voice box with white plastic speaker or black paper speaker says 11 phrases.
5. number 1 covered grill with closed voice box and black paper speaker says 11 phrases.
Foreign body and grill: The dolls body can have a number of front grill holes and the voice box will be closed with a
protected front grill, white or black and has a white plastic speaker. The voice box is made by Mattel but the doll isn't
Please click here to learn more about the "Foreign Chatty Dolls" Also I have seen this same voice box in Canadian dolls.
Limbs: can not be priced by the color alone because different colored limbs came on the different dolls. Like the
prototypes always came with the nice brown limbs. But if for example you see a blonde pigtail doll with nice brown limbs,
they will not look right on her because she Never came with those limbs.
Also when I buy to sell, depending on the doll and the color of her limbs the doll came with, will be what she will leave
here with. But a lot of limbs are stained up so I do have to change limbs on the dolls a lot! I buy many, many junk dolls
just for the limbs. So if you see a doll I have bought on ebay and her price seems high compared to what I had to pay for
her please remember that chances are I did have to replace her limbs and a lot of the time I have to replace the body to.
Plus I will have to replace her record if too scratched up to use so all those cost are in her price. I can not just buy a doll
bring her home to be fixed and resell her. That is not the way it works. It would be nice if I could do that but these dolls
are so old that most of them are in very bad shape and in a high need for repair. Some are not worth repairing but I will use
them for parts. I save what ever can be saved off of a doll, hair, eyes, teeth, good limbs and records. Other body parts as
well like the casement if in good shape and the fly wheel. I have to save what ever I can to try to keep her price down. If I
have the part I need here, then it keeps her price down. If I have to go out and buy limbs or a body her price will go up.
Please remember these are very old dolls and they take a lot of time to fix. They are not just opened fixed and closed up
again. I do detailed work. There is not one spot on the doll inside or out that I have not seen, cleaned, repaired if needed
and checked and checked again and checked one last time before she leaves me for her new home.
I classify the limbs in 8 different categories. With 50 to a 100 different shades. Click Here
#1 American peachy pink a very pretty color.
#2 American yellow, I don't like using the word yellow in my description of the limbs because they are not yellow they are
tan but people like the word yellow best so I used it.
#3 American white, I personally don't like this limb but it did come on a lot of the dolls so I am starting to use it more and
more because some like it and it does go best with some of the soft face dolls that have that whiter sink on their faces. As
does the yellow limbs above match a lot of the soft head pigtail dolls with the more yellow skin.
#4 American brown, came on the cloth covered speaker dolls and on the Spanish Speaking doll.
#5 American black, only came on the black dolls. Sorry I do not have any pictures of her limbs.
#6 American and Canadian small limbs. I have no idea as to why some of the limbs are so much shorter but the foot isn't,
did it shrink after it was made?
#7 Canadian, peachy pink a color I love.
#8 Canadian light brown limbs, not as brown as the American brown limbs but like them just lighter.
Oops one last thing... when buying these dolls watch out for dyed limbs. There isn't reason to dye these limbs. I tried it
once to get black limbs just to see if I could do it. I didn't have a black doll, it was just one of my experiments to see if it
could be done, I am always doing some kind of experiment on these dolls. I did manage to get them black but not the
inside of the limb and over time some of the dye spotted, so you could tell they were dyed legs. I did the arms too but I
could not get the arms to take the dye. They turned a really nice green. LOL... Anyway there just is no reason to dye
limbs, you can buy junk dolls for 20 to 30 dollars with shipping if you keep a good eye out. So why bother trying to dye
the limbs? Now if you have a black doll with no limbs I could maybe understand why you would want to dye a set of
white limbs black to match her body. But that would be the only reason.
NOTE:.. I swear this has to be the hardest page I have even done because there are so many different Chatty Cathy dolls.
I had a very hard time remembering all of them and I still do not know if I remembered all of them. This is why this doll is
such a highly sought after doll. Plus I haven't even got the the different "Freckle patterns" or the fact there maybe Hard
Face American Pinwheel Eyed Chatty Cathy Dolls. (Click here for Chatty Cathy Eyes.) There are No Two Chatty Cathy
dolls exactly alike.
|Email On "Why NO Prices?"
From: (Name Removed)
Sent: Wednesday, 7:38 PM
Subject: PROTOTYPE CHATTY CATHY
I am looking for a price for this doll. I have checked the price page on your website, but there are no dollar
amounts, only a list of dolls. Where are the prices???
Sent: Thursday, 7:30 AM
To: (Name Removed)
Subject: PROTOTYPE CHATTY CATHY
LOL... there are no prices and I know that does not make sense but the dolls cannot be priced as they try to do in
books (to sell the book). That is because any price you will find in a book is guess work... and I frankly do not do
guess work... The dolls price depends on many, many things. Like the year she was made (I bet 100,000 blonde
bobs were made that first year and more) so to price a doll like her is next to impossible because it will depended
on her, eyes, hair, limbs, if she talks or not, face, face color, eyes open and close, does she stand up, can she sit
down, is her body repairable... every thing counts in pricing a doll like her.... because there were so many made.
Have you even gone to a price guide on line when buying a new car or used car? If you have, you would see how
they take off money or add money to everything that is there or not there. Same way with these dolls but even
more things are taken off and added on to get a dolls value. You cannot just have a blonde bob and say Ok I have
this doll how much is she worth, it doesn't work that way.
But if you send me some pictures of her I can put a price to her... I will need a close-up of her face, whole body
naked pictures of her front and back, pictures of any stains and what her back says... Then I will want you to tell
me if she is clean and are her hands and feet clean and not missing any fingers and toes and if her hair is missing
any hair plugs other than a few. Does she still talk? Is her string missing? Can you hear broken parts inside her
body when you move her? Does her head turn all the way around (sign of a broken neck ring) and a few more
once I look at her pictures... I need many pictures and will have many questions and even then I will be unable to
give you a clear price on your dolls value because it also depends on the market in any given month or year. For
example your doll will sell for more between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now if all you are looking for is a
ballpark price then yes send me the pictures and any and all the information you have and I will give you a
"between price" meaning an amount between this amount and that amount or rather what I would pay for her...
Have A Good Day Dolly
Animals;Astrology Zodiac Signs;Astrology Animated Zodiac Things;
Backgrounds;Books;Bugs,Spiders & Butterflies;
California Raisins;Christmas;Cliche's;Request Cliche;
Halloween;Holidays;Horoscope Wheels;July 4;
Looney Tunes;Bugs Bunny;Daffy Duck;Porky Pig;Tasmanian Devil;Tweety Bird;
Misc. animations;Humor;Pen & Ink Quills;Paper Dolls "For Kids";
Oldies But Goodies;People;
Smilies, Happy, Faces;Valentines Day;
All Pages On This Site;
E-Mail;Home & Site Policy